Hi friends, today you are going to learn how to identify infinitive verbs of English grammars from the given sentence. You also learn how to use infinitive verb in given sentence. It is so easy to identify the infinitive verb, just we have to write or choose the main verb starting with the word ‘to’. Let’s see some examples so you can easily understand it.
Rules to Identify Verb:
Underline verb after to
i.e. to eat, to go, to play, etc.
Change the underlined verb into infinitive verb.
i.e. she refused calling me.
Ans. she refused to call me.
Some Examples to identify the Infinitive Verb:
- We refuse to study under the new teacher.
Ans: We refuse to study under the new teacher.
- Grandma refused answering him.
Ans: Grandma refused answering him.
- It would have been fun to see him lose his temper.
Ans: It would have been fun to see him lose his temper.
- They had to change the train.
Ans: They had to change the train.
- He bent down to touch his feet.
Ans: He bent down to touch his feet.
- Boys like to play cricket.
Ans: Boys like to play cricket.
- The rain is about to start.
Ans: The rain is about to start.
- They advised the king to regulate his diet.
Ans: They advised the king to regulate his diet.
- We eat to live.
Ans: We eat to live.
- I am too weak to work.
Ans: I am too weak to work.
Go through my video to understand it better:
Questions for Your Practice:
Underline the infinitive verbs from the given sentences:
- The repeated advice he got from the physician to eat less.
- He is going to Mumbai to buy a bike.
- None dared to advise the king in this regard.
- The king had only a month left to fight in the war.
- The king came to know of this, he was furious.
- Smoking is injurious to health.
- I wanted to lead my life.
- He went to play.
- I want to sleep.
- She asked my brother to become a doctor.
- I don’t know how to swim.
How to Use Infinitive Verb: